User experience and interface design expert with over 15 years experience in design, research, prototyping and implementation. I love clean design, typographical hierarchies and logical user flows. I’m passionate about defining problems and developing effective solutions that result in happy users.
Skills and competencies
- Developing personas and user stories to build user application flows.
- Creating wireframes and clickable prototypes for user testing and development.
- Undertaking heuristic evaluations to improve product usability.
- Designing effective typography as graphical and hierarchal elements in page layouts.
- Implementing mobile-first responsive design techniques.
- Writing CSS and HTML from scratch.
- Expert in Illustrator and Photoshop, and comfortable in Sketch, Invision, and other UX/UI tools.
- Able to write, edit, and proofread content.
- Experienced managing teams of creative and communication professionals.
OrgSync, Oct 2012 - present
User interface design for university campus engagement web application with over 5,000,000 users and 450 campus partners.
- Design effective page layouts to allow users and campus administrators to create events, forms, rosters, to-do lists, and over 25 other core features of the software.
- Gather user requirements and build user flow wireframes for new features.
- Implement designs and layouts via CSS in a Rails and React.js environment.
- Create and edit content for feature announcements and blog posts.
AllPlayers.com, Aug 2010 - Sept 2012
Design and theming for group and league management web application with over 75,000 users and 1,000,000+ monthly page views.
- Manage print and web design team.
- Analyze needs and reconcile with data to develop wireframes, comps and layouts to improve user interface of web application and marketing pages.
- Write CSS and HTML to design pages and sections within Drupal CMS.
- Write, edit and proofread print, email and website content.
- Develop and produce brand standards guide.
Living Yoga Dallas, Jan 2002 - Sept 2010
Develop, design, produce and maintain website and marketing collateral for yoga-related small business.
- Work with business owner since inception of company, developing marketing communications promoting company products and events.
- Redesign and relaunch website in 2009 to shift to community portal, developing Drupal website allowing users the ability to create pay-to-post business and event listings to populate comprehensive directories benefiting the community.
- Create marketing collateral promoting workshops and events, resulting in frequently sold-out events.
- Create bi-weekly email newsletters to promote company and community, and drive traffic to community website.
Senior Graphic Designer
Lawyers Escrow & Trust, Feb 2005 - Jan 2010
In-house designer creating marketing communications for company focusing on escrow and closings for small business transactions.
- Concept, design, production and maintenance of company website.
- Developed branding and implemented throughout all marketing channels.
- Produced print collateral and trade show materials, taking project roles including concept, design, copywriting and production.
Freelance Graphic Designer
Various Clients, Jun 1994 - Feb 2005
Freelance print and web design and production for many of Dallas’ top ad agencies, design studios, corporations, and small businesses.
- Clients included Temerlin McClain, TracyLocke, Rapp Collins Worldwide, Eisenberg & Associates, J.C. Penney, Mary Kay, Exhibit Group|Giltspur, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Texas, Big Feats Entertainment/Lyric Studios and more.
- Account experience included Dallas Galleria, DFW Airport, La Madeleine, Nokia, Nortel, Pepsi, Pizza Hut, 7-Eleven, Stanley Korshak, Subaru, Zales and more.
Collin County Community College, Sep 1999 - Aug 2003
Instructor for college courses in the Applied Graphic Design Technology department.
- Electronic Prepress, focusing on QuarkXpress software from beginning to expert level knowledge.
- Digital Imaging I, focusing on introductory Photoshop skills.
- Digital Publishing II, focusing on all aspects of professional graphic design, including workflows, production techniques, design for campaigns, font technology and design, scanning and resolution, studios skills, printing technologies, business practices, contracts, copyrights, and project production.
Professional conferences and training
- OrgSync Connect (presenter) — 2013, 2014, 2015, Dallas, TX
- Front Porch — 2013, Dallas, TX
- DrupalCon Denver — 2012, Denver, CO
- BADcamp — 2011, Berkeley, CA
- OpenCamp (presenter) — 2010, Dallas, TX
- Drupal Design Camp Boston – 2010, Boston, MA
- Do It With Drupal — 2009, New Orleans, LA
- DrupalCamp Austin — 2009, Austin, TX
Coursera Interaction Design Specialization, University of California, San Diego, beginning Feb 2016. Anticipated completion: Jun 2016.
Available upon request.
Valarie Martin Stuart
Dallas, Texas USA